The Hospital at Travis AFB

My dad was career Army and my ex-husband was career Army. Dad was infantry and the ex was mechanized infantry and I've spent time on some sprawling Army bases.

I have no idea what's normal for Air Force facilities, but compared to Army facilities, Travis AFB is pretty small. But the hospital there is another story.

It's a regional facility serving all branches of the military in eight states. It has its own gate.

There's like a front gate open full-time and probably a back gate of some sort open part time, which is pretty common, and a hospital gate which is open like less than the front gate but more than the back gate.

One of the hallways is a quarter mile long.

It has grown organically over the years and medical personnel assigned there get lost and confused. Some elevators go to all floors and some don't.

I think it has its own Ronald McDonald House or a military variation on the concept.

And it's a teaching hospital and has connections to and agreements with other medical facilities in the area and I mean the San Francisco Bay Area (SFBA) is unusually dense for the US. I think there are over 100 cities in the nine counties of the SFBA.

The hospital may be part of why they haven't gotten around to moving the Air Base.

And could probably be left there while moving the rest of the functions of the base.

This is potentially a bigger screw you than just removing the base entirely because it could be an excuse to keep control of the ENTIRE base while removing most of the jobs and money associated with it.

Popular Posts